Post Treatment Instructions
Instructions following Root Canal Treatment
Thank you for selecting us for your root canal therapy. We sincerely hope your endodontic care has been pleasant and conscientious.
Please follow the guidelines below and contact our office if you have any questions. Note: For instructions following surgery, you will receive customized instructions in the office.
1. You will be numb after your treatment. While you are numb, please do not eat or chew. You may bite your cheek or tongue. Also, please do not drink hot liquids. You may burn your cheek or tongue.
2. It is normal to feel some discomfort for 2-3 days after your procedure. The jaw may also be sore from keeping it open for an extended period of time.
3. Discomfort may be treated with Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), Naproxen Sodium (Aleve) or Acetaminophen (Tylenol). If prescriptions are given, please fill them as soon as possible and follow the instructions as directed.
4. Please take Ibuprofen, Naproxen Sodium or Acetaminophen (Advil, Aleve or Tylenol) immediately upon the conclusion of the procedure. This will give the pain medication time to start working before the anesthesia wears off. It is highly recommended to proactively continue taking the pain medication for the next 2-3 days to maintain comfort.
5. It is extremely important you do NOT chew food on the treated tooth until your root canal procedure is completed and your personal dentist restores your tooth. Your treated tooth may fracture or have discomfort as a result of premature chewing.
6. Please continue your dental hygiene regimen of brushing and flossing unless other instructions are provided by the office. Do not floss adjacent to the treated tooth if it is covered with a temporary crown.
7. If your root canal procedure has been completed, a crown or permanent restoration MUST be placed in order to protect your tooth against fractures and decay. Please contact your restorative dentist for an appointment. A report of your treatment will be forwarded to him/her.
8. Should you experience discomfort that cannot be managed with the medication recommended or prescribed by the doctor, or you develop swelling, please contact the office immediately.
Read what people are saying about us.
Dr. Hsu has superb chair-side skills and makes a root canal procedure almost a pleasant experience. He explains every step and made sure that I experienced very little discomfort. His assistant, Wendy, was kind and seemed to know what Dr. Hsu needed during the procedure. I can strongly recommend Dr. Hsu and would return to his practice in the future.
Dr. Hsu performed a root canal on one of my molars that was infected. I would recommend him to any person needing this procedure. His office is immaculate. He uses state of the art technology, including digital X-rays that allow you to see the images on a flat screen TV attached to the chair. He is extremely kind, caring and very thorough. I felt no pain after the novacaine took effect. The office staff is extremely thorough and caring. Every time I called with a question they knew me and showed true concern for healing. I would recommend Dr. Hsu to any person that needs this procedure. If I ever need another one, I will definitely be returning to Dr. Hsu.
I have had 2 root canals done now by Dr. Hsu, and find he and his office staff highly skilled, professional, and very kind. I had no pain with either of my root canals during the procedure, and afterwards, I also had no pain, and there were no complications. Dr. Hsu has my highest recommendation.